02 Sep Automation Engineer – KIEL, WI USA
Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, the Automation Engineer is responsible for project management and complete design of mechanical systems and some electrical functions of new and retrofitted machines. The Automation Engineer will develop mechanical machine mechanisms, generate mechanical assemblies and debug mechanical designs. Minimal programming of PLCs, robots and servos will be required on an as needed basis. This individual will mentor the team to grow in their ability to utilize improved automation solutions for related design applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Responsible for designing mechanical systems for new applications, modifying existing designs, automating our equipment and automating the manufacturing processes.
- Responsible for specifying electrical components for custom automation applications.
- Promotes open atmosphere encouraging idea generation, technology assessment and innovation.
- Collaborates with HolwegWeber Global Engineering teams to promote leveraged technology sharing and development across the global business units. Coordinate with cross-functional teams to ensure design intent and cost effectiveness is achieved.
- Makes decisions within the framework of applied technology; formulates new approaches and techniques for the solution of technical problems encountered in design.
- Evaluates and tests new technologies and its application to HolwegWeber products.
- Maintains working knowledge of developments in component technologies, trends in the capital equipment manufacturing industry sector, and relevant material technologies/advancements.
- Establish technical manuals, drawings, models, training documentation, preventive maintenance plans and troubleshooting guides for newly established and automated equipment/processes..
- Oversees development of documentation necessary for manufacturing release of the prototype. This includes but is not limited to Bills of materials, Product Flow Charts, Part Drawings, Assembly Drawings, Schematic (Air, Lube, and Hydraulics) Piping Drawings and Orientation Drawings.
- Manage project schedules and participates in the design review process for all assigned projects
- Communicates design intent to the electrical engineer, ensuring electrical requirements are included in the design, and the product operates in the most efficient manner, without unnecessary complexity.
- Ability to travel up to 25% visiting customer sites for design reviews, research, installation and troubleshooting.
- Communicate and present with manufacturing, assembly and service to resolve conflicts, reviews designs, and incorporates suggestions in improvements.
- Correct designs problems, errors or inaccuracies found in design. Processes Non-conforming Material Reports, Engineering Change Notices, and Engineering Change Request when required.
- Participates in the design estimation process, which includes determining the feasibility if design, estimates design times requirements, assemble, test and project costs.
- Ability to accept design feedback from customers, colleagues and cross-functional groups and improvement suggestions. Collaboratively work with these individuals to brainstorm alternative solutions.
- Coordinates and performs testing of assigned technologies or machines; Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) of customer and internal validation testing.
- Adhere to good manufacturing and documentation practices including keeping accurate test reports/logs in accordance with department standards.
- Ability to self-direct on projects as well as lead others.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment problems and perform complex system testes.
- Ability to creatively apply new technologies thus improving our projects
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Automation Engineering or related field. Prefer five years or more of automation experience. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have Solidworks experience. Excellent oral and written communication skills
Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical specifications, professional journals, and blueprints. Ability to write reports and documentation. Ability to communicate effectively with vendors, customers and other employees of the organization. Prefer ability to speak French and/or German.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Additionally, ability to work with concepts of Statistical Process Control like CPK and PPK.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to function independently and with a team. Ability to coordinate and organize Root Cause Analysis and setup Design Of Experiments (DOE) for problem solving and design.
Experience with machine shop and welding knowledge. Experience of lean manufacturing and ergonomic principles. Familiar with 6-axis robot programming and familiar with machine vision principles. Requires the ability to operate a variety of standard office machines, to include a computer, telephone, fax, copier, etc., and the ability to operate a variety of test and development equipment. Ability to concentrate in a noisy environment. Prefer ability to travel
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently and for extended periods of time required to sit; uses computers and software, use hands to finger, handle, walk steps, or touch objects, draw, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach above shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move drawings, files, parts, components, and manuals weighing up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is an office like setting with the extended computer use. When on the shop floor, large machines may be loud. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, occasionally loud.